Carman was settled in 1870 when Winnipeg settlers used the Missouri Trail to locate around the Boyne River.
Businesses began to open in 1878 and it was during this period of growth that the settlers becase interested in founding and properly naming a village on their Boyne site.
A vote was taken and Carman City was chosen, later shortened to Carman, after Episcopal Methodist Church bishop Rev. Albert Carman.
Located at the junction of Highways #3 and 13 just minutes southwest of Winnipeg, Carman is situated in the heart of a rich prairie agricultural belt and just 100 kilometers north of the United States border.
Incorporated as a town in 1905, the community served as an agricultural, manufacturing and commercial service centre to the surrounding areas, a role it continues today.
John Francis Grant & Clothilde Grant This couple was the first to settle in the district.
Grain Elevators – The first elevator was built in 1891 but most of the buildings were destined to burn. The last elevator burnt in 1985.
Carman Hospital and Nurses’ Residence 1905-1949 Mrs. John Brown and Miss F.M.S. Howard spearheaded the founding of the first hospital. Many nurses trained at this hospital.
Carman Public School – This brick school was built in 1902, replacing the second frame school which burned in 1901. The school represents the importance of educating our young people who are the vision for tomorrow.
St. Andrews Presbyterian Church This church represents the spiritual need for churches in our community. St. Andrews Presbyterian church was built in 1898.
The Scotsman. The Scotsman represents the European settlers and the influences they brought with them.
Margaret Burnett Until 2002 she was the only woman on the Carman Town Council. She has been recognized for her many contributions to community life.
Recreation. This group of pictures shows how recreation has, ‘always been an integral part of our community life.
Canadian Pacific Railway. At tne time Carman boasted three railway lines. This building served as the CPR station house.
The Natives The natives of the plains were the first inhabitants and their lives were connected to the land in the most intimate way
The War – The wars played a major part in our history with many young men in the community losing their lives. The Memorial Hall was built in 1919 to commemorate the brave who fought for our freedom in World War I.
Canadian National Railway. Walk the pathway and you will find the men laying the tracks for the CNR line in 1901 on the east side of Carman.
Seniors – This image has a two fold significance, firstly it shows the importance which seniors have always played in our community. Secondly, it signifies the citizens’ love of continual learning.
Nan Bruce – Nan was a newspaper woman and photographer for The Carman Weekly Standard which was in business from 1890‑1916. The Dufferin Leader was founded in 1898 & renamed The Valley Leader in 1976.
The Flood – Spring floods in 1923, 1950, 1970, 1974 and 1979 wreaked havoc onto the town until a diversion was built in 1992.
The Diver – Many a day was spent at the old swimming hole which was located in a bend of the Boyne River. The woman is depicted diving into the flood and takes you into the mural.
The Quilters – These women signify the value of women’s work in the community and how it enhanced the quality of life for all.
Livestock – This picture depicts the importance which cattle and other livestock have layed in the development of theRural Municipality of Dufferin.
Threshing Crew – Agriculture has been and continues to be the economic foundation of the Town of Carman and the Rural Municipality of Dufferin. This image is a threshing crew in 1926.
A story about the Negro Leagues baseball players who came to Manitoba (Brandon, Carman & Winnipeg) to play baseball and the social and athletic effects they had on a community.
by: Robert Huculak and Buffalo Gal Pictures
In 1947, Baseball segregation ended when the Brooklyn Dodgers signed Jackie Robinson. The immediate result was a disaster for the players of the Negro Leagues. Suddenly, hundreds of black ball players found themselves looking for work.
Some of the best of them (and they were as good as anyone in the Majors) found spots on teams in the Manitoba Senior League as well as the ManDak League, a group of rural and urban teams around Manitoba and North Dakota, included Winnipeg, Brandon, Carman and Minot..
The period they played here – from 1948 until 1954 – was the absolute Golden Age of Prairie Baseball, attested to by the incredible popularity of the players and the unmatched attendance at their games.
Lois Bentley, from Brandon Manitoba, was a teen-ager in those years and she and her family befriended some of the players from the American South and as far away as Cuba.
As they dazzled the crowds with their unique brand of “tricky ball”, they charmed their way into the lives of people open enough to receive them. Lois – and Prairie baseball – remembers those as the best years of their lives.
In 2005, filmmaker Bob Huculak brought Brandon Greys teammates Dirk “Bubble Gum” Gibbons and Armando Vasquez back to Manitoba. They were reunited with Lois and a couple of local players in an emotional, evocative and memory-filled reunion on the fields of their youth. The personal celebration expanded to a public one when the Old Boys of Summer threw a few balls at Winnipeg Goldeyes game and relived the glory days with a standing O from enthusiastic fans.
For, along with all the adulation and fan support, from 1948 to 1954, there was an undercurrent of suspicion and resentment. The racism that pervaded US society had its expression here, too.
The film has already been shot, the old photos and films gathered or located. Together, they tell a story of nostalgia, golden memory and good times, a story given depth, poignancy and edge by the dark and abiding experience of the ugly side of black-white history.
When he began shooting, Huculak thought it would end there – but wonders, as we know, never cease. The publicity generated by the reunion and Lois Bentley’s unceasing efforts finally, and to everyone’s amazement (especially hers), bore fruit – In June of 2006, Lois’s friends Dirk Gibbons and Armando Vasquez were inducted into the Manitoba Baseball Hall of Fame – a first for the Hall of Fame and a victory for decency, persistence and some damn fine ball playing.
The Boys Who Came to Play is a touching and provocative story with resonance for our times, and a film that was just waiting to happen.
Manitoba Free Press Newspaper – MAY 17, 1930
Carman, Man., May 16, 1930
At the monthly meeting of the Carman Young Men’s Board of Trade last evening, a special committee was formed of K. McGregor. A.S. Bowes. W. A. Hallett and S. N. Cochran to ask the town council that in the business interests of the town they seriously consider the installation of a talking movie machine in the local theatre. The tourist committee were instructed to have a few more tourist camp signs erected on highway No. 3 and other surrounding highways. Dr. Munn, M.L.A., gave a short talk on certified seed growing, P. Stewart, of the Dominion extension service unexpectedly joined the meeting and gave a short talk on the achievement of the Boys’ and Girls’ Sheep clubs. The Carman fire insurance rates question again came up for discussion, and it was decided to write the Western Canada Fire Underwriters’ association concerning the re-adjustment, as Carman has a first class firefighting equipment but has the same rating as other smaller towns that have no water system. The next regular meeting of the board of trade will be held in the “Carmania” at 6.30 p.m., June 3.Talkies were movies with sound. Link to Movies of the 1930’s